Saturday, April 14, 2012

Aaaaaagggghhhh, what is this mod that's driving me mad???

[:1]Since the patch last week, my game has been totally messed up. Can't log in half the time, can't switch from one realm to another or one character to another. But I hear a lot are having similar problems.

Trouble is, somehow, patch or whatever, all my addons disappeared. So my husband, ever helpful, said 'Oh, don't worry, I'll reinstall them all for you and save you the bother'. And he worked away busily on Curse for an hour or so. Now there's something in there that gives me a tiny ding! and then a red message comes on in midscreen that says 'QUICK BUNNY, (NAME OF CHARACTER) IS A DRAENEI (OR NIGHT ELF OR WHATEVER)'. This is every time a female character comes near.

Really annoying, and I don't know what's doing this. I've searched through them all, read all the descriptions, and nothing at all says it does this. I've never been one for silly purposeless addons anyhow. Anybody got any ideas before I go totally mad?|||Try typing /framestack. This should bring up an interface menu that can give you info on all your addons when you mouseover them. Not sure how it works myself, I got the info from WoW.com - http://www.wow.com/2010/03/23/patch-...urvival-guide/|||Quote:








Try typing /framestack. This should bring up an interface menu that can give you info on all your addons when you mouseover them. Not sure how it works myself, I got the info from WoW.com - http://www.wow.com/2010/03/23/patch-...urvival-guide/




OK, thanks, I'll try that. I thought for a while it might be some weird sort of hack of my account.|||I honestly have no clue. Could you grab a screenshot of your addon folder and upload it for us? (Or, alternatively, type out the entire list)|||Disable exactly half your addons (the top or bottom half of the list). If the message has gone (or not gone), you'll know which half of your addons it is in. Then halve the list again, and again.... within 4-5 goes you should find out which addon it is.|||Quote:








Disable exactly half your addons (the top or bottom half of the list). If the message has gone (or not gone), you'll know which half of your addons it is in. Then halve the list again, and again.... within 4-5 goes you should find out which addon it is.




Yes, that's what I'm going to do. It's so strange, and so utterly unconnected with the addons I have, all addons that I have used for a couple of years. So unless this is some weird hack...... I thought at first that my husband had installed something silly as a sort of joke (ha ha) but that's not the case.|||Hmm.. from the description you gave of the addon, I'm guessing that it is meant to help you identify players for the "Shake your bunny maker" achievement for Noblegarden.

I did a quick search on Curse, but the only thing similar I could find was "Vlud's Target Sex Mod", which allows you to target an npc/character by a specific gender. Not sure if that will help, but perhaps knowing what it does will help you in identifying which one you need to disable.|||Quote:








Hmm.. from the description you gave of the addon, I'm guessing that it is meant to help you identify players for the "Shake your bunny maker" achievement for Noblegarden.

I did a quick search on Curse, but the only thing similar I could find was "Vlud's Target Sex Mod", which allows you to target an npc/character by a specific gender. Not sure if that will help, but perhaps knowing what it does will help you in identifying which one you need to disable.




Hmmmm, interesting, but Noblegarden isn't even started yet, has it? I think I'm going to have to try 'repair' as not only do I have this problem, along with the other problems of login, it's now failing to show NPCs, mailboxes and other characters.|||/hijack

After this patch I had the "common" problem of a stuck loading screen. Every other time I tried to log in a character (literally 50% of the time) the loading screen would get to 100% and not do anything. First blue post on the official forums I saw said, almost word for word:
Quote:




delete your wtf, interface and settings folders




Well I'm no dummy and I made a back up of my interface folder......only my interface folder. :frown: So, I've got all my add ons alright with absolutely no settings|||Last night there was a red-faced confession. Yes, he had installed that Noblegarden addon because he thought it might be good with Noblegarden coming up. And then he'd thought better of it and uninstalled it. But it must not have uninstalled completely.

Anyhow, after a little tinkering and a repair, all works fine now. Mailboxes, NPCs, other players. But it still gets to 100% of the loading screen and freezes. And freezes. And freezes. Maybe three or four times. Most frustrating, but maybe today's maintenance will do something for it.

2 comments:

  1. It's a bit late, but I know which addon it is. It is "Tank Warnings" because I had just installed that as my first tank got to raiding levels, and the same problem happened to me. Disabled it and the messages went away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The add on is called handy egg finder!

    ReplyDelete